Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Growing up with eczema

I started seeing the dermatologist in Johor Bahru, Malaysia when I was in kindergarten. It is the current Tun Aminah Hospital where my dad enjoys substantial subsidy from the Malaysian government as he was a civil servant.

The doctor gave me a translucent ointment to apply on the affected areas and with all these years of experience, I realised the ointment given was probably very high in potency. I remember splashing the ointment thickly on the parts thinking that the more I apply the faster I will heal - which is the wrong concept.

My condition did not improve and I was given all kinds of ointments and creams to try on - more like a guinea pig. After awhile, the family accepted the fact that I am what I am and I stopped consulting the doctor unless necessary. Oh yes..I was also given oral steroid - prednisolone as high as 15mg and it made me real plump. Not that kinda fatness all round but only on the face and legs. So, I was nicknamed Pig's legs when I was in primary school. Well, I was not sad then..I laughed along with them.

When I was a teenager, I started to feel more conscious of my looks and skin. With a recommendation from an uncle, my dad finally brought me to a Private Dermatologist. It is really sad to hear from the dermatologist's mouth that I went to him too late...sigh...if only I had gone to him earlier..that was what he said.

So, every trip cost my dad hundreds of ringgit. The doctor will give me at least 5-10 jabs on my legs which he called "lichen amyloidosys". The purpose of the jabs was to flatten the raised pimple like skin. I was terrified of the visits because I was subjected to these jabs which I hated.

My condition improved then came back again like a see saw...up and down. I stopped seeing the doctor later on because I could easily purchase the ointments and creams off the rack at the pharmacy. Slowly I began to accept my condition and made the best out of it.

Overall, I had a wonderful teenage life..learnt the ups and downs and how to manage criticisms from strangers on my skin condition. I did not mention the areas most affected then - it was concentrated on the neck area, inner side of the elbows and knees only.

It was during my first pregnancy that I had eczema flared up my whole body. I had to see 2 doctors at that time - the gynae and the dermatologist. I was practically scratching myself mad on the tummy and everywhere. And it made me feel "cold" all the time. That was a result of the inflammation on my skin.

After the joy of having the first child, I forgot about all the sufferings and had a second one 2 years later. My skin got worst this time round.

I stopped at 2. No more. I yearn for another child but I do not want to go through the hardship again - too mind torturing.

As I age, I realised that my skin weeps without any rhyme and reason. Or did I overlook some factors?? I experienced EXCESSIVE perspiration - my tshirt can get soaked with sweat..sticky sweat indeed. I felt terrible..this happened about 2 years ago. My health also deteriorated. I was wondering if this was what they called the pre-menopause symptoms? Or is it me going bonkers? After all these years, I felt myself indulging in my own negativeness..feeling down and sorrowful..why is this happening?

I consulted 2 doctors and a Chinese Physician to search for an answer. All 3 said it was unlikely to be pre-menopause symptoms as I am still "young". Hmmm..dermatologists say it could be due to my skin condition AGAIN..I was given prednisolone.. I chucked them away. I decided to go for more natural and less harmful methods to alleviate this itch of my skin. I am determined to find it.

After much reading and analysing, I find that the most important factor is rest..a restful sleep can help heal the body.

No comments: