Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

My Son My Inspiration

My older son has always been a pessimist. I always blamed it on the "prednisolone" course that I was on when I was around 28 years old when I accidentally got pregnant with him. It was a sad ordeal as my doctor suggested that I abort the foetus given the reason I was on strong dosage of steroid and it could affect the foetus in some ways or other.

I sought 2nd medical opinion and with the encouragement from my late mom-in-law, my hubby and I decided to carry on with the pregnancy.

Today, as I look at my son..I can only smile and say he has grown - really tall ..standing at 1.75m at age 14 despite being born premature. He has a hard childhood..even now..as he can hardly find a true friend that speaks his lingo or share his interests. He prefers to be alone and always strife to do his best in everything he endeavours to do. He loves running..yes running..long long distances..he can run alone from Bt Batok Ave 6 all the way to Dover Road and back..then to Chinese Garden at Lakeside and back..and he enjoys it.

He is hardworking and I praise and thank God for that. But he lacks the social skills that most of us possess..and take for granted. His EQ is probably not high and therefore needs a lot of encouragement from us to push him to do some stuff that he is not comfortable with. Alot of coaxing and reasoning has to be presented to him so that he feels that it is alright to take the first step..the First Step means a lot to him..it opens doors and helps him get over the obstacles he faces. He has to learn skills that some of us are born with. He has to learn how to read people's facial expressions and what these mean..and lots more.

I see the process of him learning new things and trying very hard to practice them despite his negativeness and reluctance in accepting the facts. In his studies, he struggled. With the time table he laid out and diligently adhered to, he managed to achieve his goals. We are proud of him.

Starting this year, he has been complaining to us that he cannot cope with his school work and had doubts that it was the right subjects combination that he had chosen. As parents, we could only encourage him and also gave him options to rechoose his subjects combi if he wished. However, after protracted discussions, he was determined to go ahead with it and told us that he will try to figure out a solution. Of late, I have been seeing him wake up early. I am impressed because there was no alarm clock that he relied on and yet he could wake up before me (usually I wake up the earliest as I need to prepare breakfast for all).

He will then spend half an hour on his studies before breakfast and after that to catch the bus to school. Never had he once asked me to send him to school or even pick him from school..only on ocassions when he was feeling ill. I am again full of admiration of his determination and drive.

He is an inspiration to me because whenever I feel that I simply cannot do something, my mind tells me that IF My Son CAN do it, then why Can't I???

Son, give your BEST, NOTHING is impossible!

No comments: